Obv: View of church, ST. JAMES’S GARLICK HITH around, B.T. 1683 in exergue. Rev: A cypher P S Co in center circle, DEDICATED TO COLLECTORS OF MEDALS & COINS around. Edge: COVENTRY TOKEN.
Uncirculated, Red & Brown. Very Rare (RR). Some weak areas and a tad off center, but choice.
Garlick Hill was named from a garlic market held there, and Garlick Hithe was the wharf on the river bank. The church was recorded in the twelfth century, destroyed by the Great London Fire and rebuilt by Christopher Wren in 1682, which is the building shown on the obverse. The church still stands although in May 1941, during the London Blitz a 500 lb German high explosive bomb crashed through the roof of St. James and buried itself below the floor in the south aisle.