Obv: View of church, ST. MICHAEL WOOD . ST. BUILT . 1671 around, JACOBS in exergue. Rev: Cypher P S Co in center circle, DEDICATED TO COLLECTORS OF MEDALS & COINS around, 1797 below cypher. Edge: Plain.
Uncirculated and Choice brown. Tad red in devices.
Known to exist at the beginning of the fourteenth century, St. Michael’s was destroyed by the Great Fire in 1666. In 1513, after King James IV was killed at the Battle of Flodden, his head was buried in this church! The medalet shows the rebuilt church designed by Christopher Wren in 1669. The tower was part of the old church and it was repaired in 1831. Demolished in 1897.