Obv: View of building, FORD’S HOSPITAL above, FOUNDED 1529 below. Rev: Shield of arms, THE ARMS OF COVENTRY around, 1797 below. Edge: Plain.
Uncirculated and bronzed. Some bronzing spots on reverse. Well struck. Scarce.
Founded in 1529 by William Ford, a merchant from Coventry. The hospital was hit during an air-raid in WWII, but has mostly been rebuilt using the original materials. Designs were drawn by Thomas Sharp and dies were executed by Thomas Wyon. Some of the best architectural engravings from the time and a very popular and rewarding series to collect.