Obv: View of cathedral, REMAINS OF CATHEDRAL around, ERECTED 1043 in exergue. Rev: Arms of Coventry, crest a leopard, P. KEMPSON FECIT. (split by shield), THE ARMS OF COVENTRY around, 1797 below. Edge: COVENTRY TOKEN.
Uncirculated and mostly red. Choice and Scarce.
Most of the Kempson’s Coventry tokens are bronzed proofs, thus, to find them with full original color like this is quite rare. The obverse shows the only remaining part of the monastery built by Leofric Earl of Mercia and Countess Godiva (Yes, THAT Lady Godiva). Dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539 during the Reformation, the girls Blue Coat School was built on part of the site. At the time this token was struck, this was the only visible part remaining of the monastery. Nothing remains of the original structure above ground today.